There are different types of packaging for fruits and vegetables. To choose the boxes it is very important that you take into account the fruit or vegetable that you need to pack. Well, each one needs different care in terms of temperature and protection.
Boxes for fruit and vegetables
The packaging you use also depends on the destination market. For export, corrugated cardboard and single-use wooden packaging are often used. Many people may need fruit gift boxes that are offered at events such as Christmas. In general, corrugated cardboard or wood boxes are preferred, with added items such as plastic or paper to enhance the presentation.
Regarding the material, corrugated kraft paper, chemical sulfate pulp, virgin softwood, and unbleached are usually used.
Some advantages of using corrugated cardboard boxes for fruits and vegetables are the following:
- Variable size and adaptable weight: they are available in different sizes and can be adapted to the weight you want to transport, normally less than 10 kg.
- High rigidity
- Tear resistance
- Low absorption of humidity from the environment
Corrugated cardboard gift boxes for fruits are also very famous. These boxes are used, for example, for cherry tomatoes. The papers for wrapping grape bunches are usually waxed corrugated, with grooves where the stem comes out so that it can breathe. For stone fruits, purple corrugated cardboard is placed at the bottom. Other examples of fruits and vegetables packed in corrugated boxes are cucumbers, peppers, apples, strawberries, and endives.
You can use natural wood or wood-derived sheets. Poplar boxes are common. The advantages of using this type of box are the following:
- They have low density
- They weigh little
- Thin sheets can be used
Wooden boxes are often used to pack citrus fruits, bananas, avocados, carrots, peppers, pineapples, pomegranates, grapes, apples, tomatoes, lettuce and the like.
Bags for fruit and vegetables
Certain fruits and vegetables need packaging in plastic, mesh or jute bags, for greater protection and to keep these products in good condition.
The advantages of using the classic plastic bags are the following:
- They are transparent low-density polyethylene bags
- They may or may not have micro-perforations
- With this material you avoid toxicity
- Good water vapor barrier to avoid dehydration of the fruit
In addition, plastic bags are used with vegetables that are not sensitive to the presence of ethylene. Its size is variable. You can find, for example, carrots, lettuce, apples, avocados, ginger, strawberries, bananas, or red berries in plastic bags.
They are usually made of raffia or natural mesh. You have the possibility of using them with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, especially those that require good ventilation such as potatoes or onions.
- Being resistant, you can also transport products such as oranges, lemons, or carrots in mesh bags.
- Jute bags or sacks
- This fabric is used for fruits or vegetables with a specific gravity of less than 250 g / m2 due to its limited resistance.
- You can use them simply or lined with polystyrene.
- We can see them especially in the case of peppers, beans, and potatoes.
Other types of packaging for fruit and vegetables:
- Polystyrene or molded pulp trays
- It is the material used for the fruit trays. Its advantages over plastic are:
- Better hygiene
- Greater diversity of formats and colors
- Less weight.